Thursday, April 23, 2009

Bride Vs. Wife

I have started reading a book that is really challenging me. This book has a chapter that challenges you to evaluate your heart, attitudes and motives toward your husband. In this chapter, the book asks an interesting question. Are you a bride or a wife? I never thought about it before.

A bride is totally in love with her husband, patient and kind to him. A bride is more like what we call a newlywed. I remember our honeymoon period is a time when I would do extra special things for my husband just because he was my husband and I loved him.

The wife is someone whose love has grown cool. Usually the demands of life saps the energy of a wife and she no longer sees her husband like she did during the honeymoon period. She's usually crabby and waiting at the door to tell him all about her day. At least, I did.

My husband and I have been married for 17 years. The saving factor throughout all our issues is the fact that I pray. God has protected our love for each other, mututal respect and the ability to enjoy each other's company. God created wives to be helpers. I like the amplified's version of Genesis 2:20 "And Adam gave names to all the livestock and to all the birds of the air and to every [wild] beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found a helper meet (suitable, adapted, complementary) for him." Are you more of a helper?

Another saving grace in our marriage is that we are best friends. We started as friends long before we dated. We still have fun and laugh together. We have the ability to look at each other accross the room and have the same kind of thoughts about something we see.

As I write this, I'm re-evaluating my marriage and I'm being challenged to be more like a bride and not so much a wife. How about you?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I like the question--are you a bride or a wife? I pray to be more like the bride--loving, respecting and doing those "little" things for him. Thanks for the article--it made me think.
    Vicki Dauer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how this is a great question. I think in the last 18 years I have been both at different times. The most important thing for us has been that we are best friends also. Sometimes it just feels like it is us against them. :)

    ReplyDelete